Thursday, April 29, 2021

Zoo - The San Diego One

 

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter Z

 In general, I try and stay away from typical "Zoos". Something about animals being caged for the enjoyment of humans just seems wrong. However, the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is the exception to the rule. Their Mission says it all:

"San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is committed to saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature."

The San Diego Zoo gives back, does research and has been key in helping certain species survive. To learn more about the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance by visiting their website HERE

 


My love for the San Diego Zoo started when I was a child and living in California.  Visits to the Zoo were always a special treat made once a year when my Grandparents came to visit.

 


I don't remember to much about these visits, but I do remember the flamingos. The exhibit may have changed, but these graceful pink feathered friends can still be found greeting incoming guests as they enter the park.


Let's do a walk around... 

 
A Gorilla and her little one
 
 
 
 Satu, the orangutan
 
 

 
I was lucky enough to see the Giant Pandas Bai Yun and Xiao Liwu before they returned to China in 2019.
 
 

 
 Playful statuesque giraffes...
 
 
 


...and cute tiny little antelopes
 
 
Finally, the most popular attraction of the Zoo, the Koala Habitat. I have to admit, I spent quite awhile watching this guy(or gal) munching leaves from the Eucalypt tree.
 
 
 I understand the need for wildlife habitats and Zoos, and although I avoid most all other animal parks. There is something nostalgic that still draws me to the San Diego Zoo.
 
 
#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge;



4 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    I am like that with Taronga Zoo in Sydney - which I think has 'sister links' with SD zoo. Edinburgh zoo is part of that network of conservationary establishments active in breeding and rehabilitation and such like. I do see the need for such - but I agree, on the whole, I avoid them.

    Congrats on posting the whole a'bet - I look forward to your review post on Monday... and all that comes next!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the San Diego Zoo in 2007 and I agree that it's a special place. The Bronx Zoo in New York, where I've been visiting since I was kid, is very similar. A lot of other zoos are pretty depressing, though.

    Congrats on completing your A to Z.

    You can read my A to Z on mostly Classic Films at www.othemts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think many (if not most) of the major zoos nowadays follow the same philosophy as San Diego, of really caring for the animals, doing research, and working for conservation. Plus I think it's really important for people to be able to see the animals to help us all become invested in why it's so important to save them and their habitats.
    Congratulations on completing the challenge!
    Black and White: Z for Zerzura

    ReplyDelete
  4. B.C. San Diego Zoo had a show on Animal Planet that I thoroughly loved. It is a beautiful zoo. I hope it returns. Your critter photos are gorgeous!!
    Hugs and thank you for the wonderful A-Z challenge thru your eyes as you traveled.
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive