Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Lighthouse Love

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter L

As mentioned earlier in our alphabet soup, I am a big fan of Covered Bridges...and it maybe said, I am a bit in love (aka obsessed?) with lighthouses.  If we are driving along any body of water(lake, ocean, river...big puddle),  my eyes will be scanning the water's edge for lighthouses.  Today, I have gathered a few of my favorites lighthouses to share.

 

 
 Needless to say, living on the Pacific Coastline makes it a bunch easier to find lighthouses close by. The Battery Point Lighthouse(above) located in Crescent City, is located about an hour north.

 
 
 
This makes it one of my most photographed lighthouses. First lit on December 10, 1856, the Battery Point Lighthouse has been through everything from Rogue waves, to the 1964 Tsunami which battered the area. Although it is now privately lit, Battery Point Lighthouse still aids navigation today.
 
 
 

 
 Haceta Head is located along the winding coastline of Oregon and is my favorite Pacific Coast Lighthouse to date. Nestled into the side of a cliff overlooking the water, it gives access to both wonderful views from the lighthouse and lovely views of the lighthouse from designated vistas.  Imagine the work that went into its construction.
 
 
 
 
 As you might expect, due to the remote area, construction of the Lighthouse was a challenge. Breaking ground in February 1892, lumber was procured from local mills while the white masonry and cement came from San Francisco, and the rock was brought in from a quarry in Oregon City. Throw in a landslide that halted work on the lighthouse and then a delay on the lens delivery from New York. The Haceta Head Lighthouse didn't see its first lighting until March 1894. All the delays aside, the wait was worth it as the Haceta Head Lighthouse is a beautiful sight to see.

 
 
 
 Further up the coast just north of Newport, Oregon is another of my favorites, the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. Yaquina Head was formerly known as Cape Foulweather because of the frequent storms in the area. How fitting that this stormy lighthouse also has a reputation for being haunted.
 

 
 There are a few different ghost stories associated with Yaquina Head Lighthouse. One tale has a workman falling in between the double brick wall (built for insulation) who could not be rescued. Another story has a lighthouse keeper dying after falling in the lighthouse tower. 
Although neither story can be proven, I bet that on a stormy night in the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, both stories would succeed in frightening me!
 
 
 

I could go on and on(and on and on) about the lighthouses I love and have visited or just seen from a distance(like the Cape Arago Lighthouse above). Thanks for stopping by and sharing these few favorites.
 
 Are you also a fan of these towers of beauty? If so, do you have a favorite?
 

 
 

#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge

4 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Oh you know I am!!! I have been waiting for this post, being certain it would appear &*>
    Do I have a favourite? That would be hard to say, for each has its own special charm - and anyway, I haven't seen enough to know if I've found it yet! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good lighthouse, been years since I visited a proper one! Reminds me of childhood holidays as a family :-)
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/14/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-l/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth I am you obsession sista in covered bridges and light houses. Your first two photos have such an unusual look/color/texture. They look like paintings
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to show this to my sister! She love light houses too.

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side: 2021: The A to Z of Monsters

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive