Monday, April 19, 2021

French "Quarter" of New Orleans


#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter Q 

New Orleans quickly became one of my favorite cities even before I had the chance to visit.   A big fan of Ann Rice,  I was introduced to the New Orleans through her infamous Witching Hour book series, almost exclusively set in New Orleans.  Rice did a wonderful job with her description of both the city and the outlying Garden District. When I had the chance to tag along with my husband on a business trip for a few days, I jumped at the chance.

 

 

When I headed out that first day into the French Quarter, I didn't know where to look first! So much history, beautiful architecture and let's not forget the people watching!


 
Let's start with the architecture, a mix of Spanish and French design, Creole Townhouses built after the 1788 New Orleans Fire, line the street.
 
 
 

 There are so many things I enjoy about the town houses. First, the hanging plants and flower pots that occupy almost every level lining the streets with color!
 
 

 
 Then there are the gas lights found, not only along the upper apartment floors, but also in front of many storefronts.
 
 
 
 Finally, beautiful wrought iron balconies and beautifully crafted wrought iron fences can be found just about everywhere!
I love me some wrought iron!
 
 
 

 One of NoLa's more notable historical landmarks is the St. Louis Cathedral. Named after the Sainted King Louis IX.
 
 
Marie Laveau, the famous New Orleans Voodoo Queen, is said to be buried in the famous Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1. To this day people still leave gifts for Madame Laveau, in hopes of having their wishes granted.


 
When it comes to people watching, Jackson Square is a nice place to sip on a cup of coffee and watch the artists mingle with the tourists. 
 

 
But if you want a nice warm beignet with your coffee and people watching, make sure to stop by the Cafe du Monde.  


This is just a small taste of what New Orleans holds and I hope you get a chance to experience some of the charm and romance NoLa has to offer!
 
 
#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge
 

2 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    a culture within a culture within a third! Such a fascinating place and oh that architecture!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the time my sister lived there with her family, I visited the city many times. There was always something new to see. Riding the St. Charles street car was always an experience. Once was able to attend Mardi Gras.
    Sharp-eyed folks often equate my name with the delicious warm pastry served at Cafe du Monde.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive