Friday, April 9, 2021

The Covered Bridges of Indiana

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter I 

Road trips aren't necessarily about the destination, they are also about finding something along the journey to make it interesting. In my case, I like to hunt for lighthouses when traveling shorelines and, when I cruising inland highways, it's covered bridges I seek.  


A few years ago I threw a couple of our pups in the back seat and headed out on an epic road trip to the Midwest. On the journey home I took a few roads less traveled to find some of Indiana's historical covered Bridges. 

 
In Indiana, because the bridges were made with timber, they needed to be covered. Plus, I suppose it is easier to see the red bridges in the snow and ice.
 
 
 

 
 This is the Dunbar Bridge, built during 1880 in Putnam County, Indiana. It crosses over Big Walnut Creek.
 
 

 
 There is something about seeing a covered bridge that takes you back in time, don't you think? I am curious, to my friends from across the big pond, are there bridges like this anywhere in Europe?
 
 

 
This is the Dick Huffman Bridge. Built in 1880, it is the longest covered bridge in  Putnam County(Indiana) at 265 feet long.
 
 

 
Finally we have the  Oakalla Bridge, built in 1898 and named after the Oakalla train station located nearby at the time.
 
 

 
Here's to taking the road less traveled and remembering, it isn't always about the destination.....It's also about enjoying the journey!
 
 
#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Lordy they are lovely...Inspiring, one might say! (Was this post-BAR, might I ask?)

    As to your question, there may be places on mainland Europe which have a covered bridge or two. I am not aware of any such here on the British Isles - unless, of course, you count stone-built covered moat crossings, of which there may be a few. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was post BAR! Luckily Arty and Dory were very good sports as I wandered the back roads of Indiana LOL

      Thank you for answering my question. The historic covered stone moat crossings sound like they would be even more beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you know we share a love of lighthouses and covered bridges.
    What wonderful ones you discovered in Indiana...in 2016....
    Sending hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.
    The road less traveled is my all time favorite poem too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love covered bridges! Oregon has the most west of the Mississippi I read. I've only seen a few, but more than before I lived in OR. Until then I'd only seen one in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a couple of the Oregon Bridges, and hope to get up to see more. We have a couple of covered bridges here in Humboldt County(Cali) but they aren't nearly as beautiful as the ones in Indiana(or Oregon I' betting!)

      Delete
  5. I grew up in Ohio, where there were a few I saw. Definitely a fun piece of history.
    Black and White: I for Isles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I associate covered bridges with New England so I’ve learned something new. You’re right,mtheyre like a visit to the past. We have none in Australia - that I’m aware of.

    https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com/2021/04/10/indonesian-or-italian-icy-treats/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive