Friday, July 27, 2018

Final Friday Fiction - A Letter Home


 My Dearest Sister,
I have arrived at the estate and it is everything you said it was. The stately brick castle with its towering chimneys is almost regal. I have strolled through the flowers with the humming bees as my only companions. Although banished here by Mother and Father, the beautiful grounds are a perfect distraction from the sorrow I feel in missing my beloved Charles. I feel as if my heart is breaking, but you said, and I reluctantly agree, if this love was meant to be it will be.


I had the romantic notion that, even at the young age of 14, Mother and Father would be thrilled I had found love. Little did I know, instead of acceptance, they would be inclined to send me to Aunt Belle's beautiful estate in Ohio for the summer.

 
They say we are too young for such a serious relationship, and perhaps a summer away will put a damper on our love.




Although now I do what pleases our parents,  I know in my heart Charles and I will find each other again when the cool winds of Autumn arrive.  


For now,  I will explore Aunt Belle's estate and accept her hospitality. She is such a cheerful soul and it is hard not to smile when she is around.





I look forward to the day when I return to our home and see you and my beloved again.

Your Loving Sister,
Grace




Approx 242 words
From Page 87 of Robert Heinlein's 
Stranger in a Strange Land

8)But you said
12) romantic notions
16)now I do what pleases

7 comments:

  1. wow, this is beautiful and so are the photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    BRAVA! BRAVA! Beth, this is fantabulous... thanks for joining in Final Friday Fiction and doing so in such a creative way! YAM xx
    (ps - where is this place???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much YAM. This is the Stan Hyett Hall and Gardens. Look for more over the next couple of days.
      https://www.stanhywet.org/

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hmmmm....Grace most likely fell in love with a footman at her Aunt Belle's castle, and was miffed when her parents dragged her home.

      Teenage angst is so much fun!! LOL

      Delete
  4. OMCs...Bertie took the words right off my tongue...
    My word Beth this is super duper wonderful....or as Paul Anka said,
    "they called it Puppy love"!! Beth you surely captured the heart and soul of a teenager in love.
    You must continue this down the road.
    Hugs Hic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful writing!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Archive